Thursday 10 January 2013

Reading List

I had a project towards the end of last year - a 30th birthday present for my brother - and it kept me distracted from writing towards the end of the year. It was a bookish project that involved creating a poster filled with images of my books that I miss - and which my brother and his girlfriend very generously store in their home. When I skype them at their house they usually take me on a little tour so I can mentally pat my books.

Alice in Wonderland detail from the poster

Luckily to keep me from too much book-anguish there has been plenty of new reading in the last twelve months.

Here are some of the highlights:

The Difference Engine - William Gibson and Bruce Sterling - a must read for any steampunks out there.

Written on the Body - Jeanette Winterson - very beautiful love story.

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson - a good sci-fi tale of adventure in a future gone awry.

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding - Julia Strachey - random library pick based on looks - that I loved.

Virtual Light - William Gibson - a good sci-fi tale of adventure in a future gone awry... again.

Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights - Sophie Dahl - bio / cook book what is not to love.

Breath - Tim Winton - sun, surf, drama done as Winton does best.

Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson - love and history all wrapped up in a mystery.

Bird Cloud - Annie Proulx - a bio focusing on home and nature by this superb American writer.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Murial Spark - a must read for any new resident of Edinburgh.


If anyone has any book recommendations for 2013 I would love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. Ah books - one I came across last year - Song of Wirrun - Patricia Wrightson - Australian Tolkienish story listed as young adults - but as with Tolkien there is so much more. How did I never read books by this brilliant writer earlier? Maybe I fell in love with the landscapes that I know ....

    ReplyDelete