Friday 20 July 2012

Red Paper Packages


The Edinburgh Cooperative of Creative Writers launched our anthology, Edinburgh Shorts on Tuesday night amidst much wine and applause. It was great to gather writers and readers together to mark the occasion and there were some great readings and musings on that tricky question of why we write.

Spoon Cafe and a loitering writer

Launching Edinburgh Shorts





words and wine to celebrate the book

I wrote a blog a few weeks back about some of the behind the scenes busy-work that was going on to get the book out there – and it is very exciting to have a stack of books (all sold) sitting next to me in a box.
Before they can go in the post I have a little more writing to do – this time in the form of thank you notes – to be sent out to all the lovely folks who pre-ordered a copy of the book.

The real live book 


Once my notes are written I am wrapping the books up in red paper and sending them off into the world. Feels a bit like Christmas – and I hope the recipients at the other end find some stories between the pages that they love.

my red paper packages


There are many tales to choose from – poems, musings, snatches of history and moments of horror. There is star gazing, an Arthur's Seat haggis hunt, a tale of what happens to pickpockets in the old town of Edinburgh and from the pen of yours truly – a story of how an unsuspecting Aussie backpacker ended up living in a medieval city.

As well as contributions from around Scotland – from writers who have resided around the world Edinburgh based crime writer Joyce Holms has written a lovely forward.


Now the party is over and I am off to the post office to send the stories out into world, and then it is back to my pen and paper and keyboard to write the next instalment. 

If you want a red paper package to find its way into your mailbox let me know – or go to holyrood book and follow the links – though I cannot guarantee the colour of Amazon’s packaging. 

Plotting the next instalment

This blog is posted in conjunction with Natural Suburbia's Creative Friday 


No comments:

Post a Comment