Monday 4 June 2012

Flamingo Bookends

By bookends I do not mean to say that I have added to my collection of flamingo miscellany with a pair of flamingo bookends (though that would be something), I mean that today my day started and ended with flamingos.

new flamingo miscellany 


To start my day the flamingos manifested themselves in a piece of writing I am working on. A travel piece for a writing competition, which I have decided.... surprise surprise to base on one of my flamingo expeditions. So I have been going back over some photos and notes and memories, and generally putting myself in the happy flamingo zone.

Cappadocia, Turkey, 2011

It is the Diamond Jubilee long weekend in Britain and it could not be complete without afternoon tea, so after lunch I went out to meet a friend and we went on a little expedition to a tea shop in Gullane, passing by many little towns strung with bunting.

Bunting explosion
Bunting close up
more bunting...




After a very hearty dose of lemon sponge and a good gossip we got back on the road. On the way home we stopped to walk off some of the cake at the Longniddry Bents, and while we took in the sea air we learnt that the strange concrete blocks littering the coast were old tank blockades put up to stop German tanks rolling into Scotland via the Forth.

The grassy rocks of Longniddry Bents
anti-tank devices on Longniddry Bents

Educational and tasty - a perfect afternoon.

Home again home again and what do I discover... that a crafty blog I am quite partial too has been transformed into a flamingo blog and is full to the brim of brilliant flamingo pictures taken 2.5km from the bloggers house! So, many thanks to natural suburbia for allowing my day in Scotland to be bookended by flamingos!

3 comments:

  1. Am loving the flamingo miscellany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helmut von Schwanzkase12 June 2012 at 09:06

    Bombay Flamingo:

    Ingredients
    8 Flamingoes
    • 2 Medium onions, finely sliced
    • 2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • 3 Dried chilies, seeded and broken into pieces
    • 1/2 Cup oil
    • 1 tsp Lemon juice
    • Salt to taste
    How to make Bombay Flamingo:
    • Chop the Flamingo into 5 cm pieces.
    • Heat oil in a pan and fry the pieces properly.
    • Take it out and drain.
    • Now fry the onions and garlic till onion turns golden.
    • Combine chilies and fry for about 2 minutes.
    • Add fried Bombay Flamingo pieces and stir-fry for a minute.
    • Mix lemon juice and salt to taste.
    • Bombay FLAMINGO is ready to serve

    ReplyDelete